For the last few months I have been getting my food from our local box scheme called Farnham Local Food and I have to admit – the food is seriously amazing! Chemical-free, grown locally in less than a mile from my house – it is as good as UK food gets! And trust me – I tried everything – all supermarkets, farmers markets and various box schemes. This one is my favourite s far!
For the last 2 months I think they have supplied me with about 20 pumpkins in addition to other veggies, so my cooking was pretty much revolving around pumpkins ( no regrets though – love pumpkins! 🙂 )
Today I baked a really nice bread which is simple and seriously delicious, sweet, soft, moist and perfectly spiced, and is great alone or toasted with your favourite butter or nut butter. And yes – it’s gluten free, grain free, dairy free and refined sugar free.
It’s loaded with various warming spices, such as cinnamon, clove, cardamom, nutmeg and ginger (as I didn’t have them all in one jar called Pumpkin Spice – but if you do – use it instead!) and is simply delicious and healthy.
Easy to make, your kids can help to make and eat it 🙂
I used a maple syrup in the recipe, but you are welcome to use agave syrup, coconut syrup, coconut sugar or honey.
It goes extremely well with butter and homemade jam, it can be toasted as well, but tastes excellent as it is!
- 3 eggs
- 220 g pumpkin puree ( see notes *)
- 1/3 cup (about 80 ml) full fat coconut milk from a can, not the carton box (see notes **)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup ( can be replaced with any sweetener)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or 1/2 tsp powder
- 220 g ground almonds or almond flour. I used ground almonds from LIDL.
- 30 g tapioca flour
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice ( or I used mixture of 1/3 teaspoon each of cardamom, clove, nutmeg and ginger + 1 tsp of cinnamon)
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees C and line a small/medium loaf pan (I used 3.5 x 8" or 9 x 20cm one) with parchment paper inside
- In a bowl or a food processor mix together the eggs, pumpkin puree, coconut milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice (or your spice mixture) and salt
- Slowly and gently mix the liquid ingredients into the dry, mix until just combined. If you wish, you can add in nuts and seeds, raisins or dried cranberries, chocolate chips. I added a teaspoon of sesame seeds.
- Transfer all your batter into the prepared lined loaf pan. Bake for 40 min - 1 hour - depends on your oven - basically until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, and the top is brown and springy to the touch.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit in the loaf pan for about 10 minutes. Then gently remove the loaf (leave it in in the parchment paper though) to cool on a wire rack.
- Allow the loaf to cool for an hour before slicing. Enjoy with butter and jam or on its own!
- * How to make Pumpkin Puree - cut pumpkin or squash into pieces and roast until it is soft. It can be roasted with or without the skin - you just remove the skin afterwards.
- **Coconut milk - just open a can and mix separated fat with liquid well, then pour the amount you need. The rest can be used in soups, curries, smoothies or more baking!