I really like to cook according to the season and what’s in season. I love seeing all of the pumpkin, squash, and apple recipes floating around the internet these days...
Today this is a Roasted acorn squash with chicken and quinoa stuffing recipe which is a meal all in one edible bowl! Each squash is filled with healthy lean protein, vegetables and the skin is edible too!
Once you’re done roasting the flesh is tender, and the skin becomes soft and edible. The skin is pretty thin, so once you cook the acorn squash go ahead and take a bite. Don’t forget to save your seeds, you can roast them and eat them as a crunchy snack or topping.
These roasted acorn squash cups can be wonderful starters, appetisers or lunch/dinner meal, you can’t go wrong with them. I like to serve generous amounts of stuffing for each portion. A light, healthy and hearty dish ready in under an hour.
Here is the recipe!
Chicken Quinoa Stuffed Squash
- 2 acorn squashes
- 1/2 cup dry white/golden quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 4-5 small chicken fillets chopped on small squares
- 2 cups mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Slice the very bottom tip off the squash so it will sit flat in the baking dish.
- Cut the top off your acorn squash and scoop out the seeds.
- Coat the flesh of the acorn squash with olive oil put the top back and place it on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the squash is soft.
- Once it’s soft, remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the squash is cooking, prepare the chicken, mushroom and quinoa.
- Add the quinoa and water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and keep covered for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Cut chicken into cubes, coat with salt and pepper and sautée in olive oil in a frying pan until it is cooked through. Take it out of the pan.
- Add more olive oil to the same pan.
- Add the mushroom and onions and cook until it’s nice and soft and onions are golden, add the chicken and quinoa and toss to combine.
- Season with spices and remove from the heat.
- Remove the squash from the oven, and let cool for a few minutes.
- Transfer to the plates and stuff with half the chicken-quinoa mixture.
- Serve immediately.